Tuesday 13 November 2012

Here in my room

Did I mention that I really like my room here in Chania? If you're thinking of the typical Greek holiday studio of old with barely room to swing a cat, basic furniture and mismatching everything, then think again. Here, someone has put a sense of  flair and imagination into creating comfortable, large studios with solid furniture and design details that take their cue from the restored Venetian wooden ceiling.

There's a large wooden bed with fancy headboard and a nice firm mattress

 


The red faux leather sofa is very comfortable for reading, sprawling or napping - but not for watching TV because that's really only visible from the bed. Not that I feel much moved to watch it. All the channels are Greek language and whilst there are films and American programmes with sub-titles, they are broken up by long advert breaks.

 

In front of the sofa is a massive coffee table with an equally gigantic candle holder and I've added a vase of flowers that I bought cheaply in the market on Saturday.

I really like the solid, sideboard-type cupboard. It's great for storage and is topped by a classy mirror with a beaten silver frame. There's even a vase with two quite convincing artificial red roses in it. The frames of the still-life pictures pick up the silver look and the images themselves echo the shades of the room.

 

Every window has shutters and a beigy-gold coloured net curtain with a simple, pleasing pattern. I don't bother to close the shutters at present, but as the weather gets cooler I'm sure I will appreciate the option to keep the place cosy after dark.








The kitchen is compact and the sink the size of a saucepan, but the fridge is full size for storage, there is cupboard space and it's perfectly possible to cook meals. There's even an extractor fan with light above the two-ring electric cooker.

 





Finally the bathroom is - well, white really. Oh, and look - there's a glimpse of me in the mirror! The shower is good, the hot water plentiful and the basin large enough to wash out clothes. This morning I rinsed out a pair of jeans, lightly wrung them and hung them in the sunshine. By mid afternoon they were dry.



I pay a very reasonable monthly rate for all this, which includes cleaning and change of sheets and towels once a week. What, as they say, is not to like? 

1 comment:

  1. Lovely place to stay! Not sure if I would enjoy washing up in that tiny kitchen sink though!

    ReplyDelete