Saturday 10 November 2012

Coming to Chania

How have I accumulated so much stuff? I left Julie's house yesterday with two suitcases (one borrowed from her), a wheely back-pack (my technology bag for the laptop etc) and a beach bag containing food and other bits and pieces.

Julie kindly drove me to Chania, parked illegally so that we could get close to my new home and helped me get all the 'stuff' inside, with a lovely welcome from Alexandra, who runs the studios.

I found this place serendipitously when Colm and I were in Chania for my birthday. We had just had a cuppa at my favourite pavement cafe, the Red Bicycle.




As we left, I saw the sign for Vranas Studios and remembered having noticed on the internet that they seemed to offer a lot of space for your tourist euro. As we hovered at the entrance, the sunny, friendly Alexandra popped out and before I knew it I had done a deal on number 23 for my winter home. If you're curious, take a look at the Vranas website to be getting on with and I'll post some photos of my room very soon.

 Chania is just emerging from the tourist season into its winter mode. It's around 20C with a cool breeze, but dry with sunny intervals. Most of the tavernas and cafes around the old harbour have closed, but when I was here for the evening with Ella two weeks ago, they were still buzzing. We arrived just before dusk and sat over a drink watching the light change. I these photos say a lot about why I wanted to be here....





 


No comments:

Post a Comment