Sunday 11 November 2012

A room with a view

I love 'A Room with a View', both the book and the film. Of course, the view in question was of the River Arno in Florence and the Tuscan hills beyond and I can't claim to seeing anything as picturesque as that from my room in Chania - but I like the outlook here.

I have two balconies - the first one faces south and is great for sitting because it gets sun for most of the day, although it was quite cloudy when I took these pictures. On this balcony there are two chairs and a nice marble-topped table, so it's my spot for eating breakfast or reading with a cuppa.

 

The view from inside the room is filled with green, as there are one mimosa and two plane trees outside. The mimosa seems very exotic and must look spectacular in spring with a mass of feathery golden flowers.









The view from the balcony takes in shops in one direction - closed today as it's Sunday - and Chania's cathedral in the other. As you can see, the cathedral has a bell tower and at the weekends the bells ring at 7am and 5pm. They sound very loud, but I'm happy to be woken by them. The Sunday service is relayed by loudspeaker from the front of the church, so I catch the faint, ethereal rhythm of chanting for a couple of hours.



























 After church this morning the entire congregation seemed to resort to the pavement cafes below my room for coffee and chat, creating a nice buzz. I like the sound of people around and the fact that I hear no traffic except the very occasional motor bike. I also hear the subdued sound of music from the Red Bicyle cafe, and their taste pleases me - anything from Beatles or rock classics to jazz or classy Greek music with soul.


























My second balcony is on the west side of the building and here there is a washing line for drying my towels and clothes. The view is towards the cathedral in one direction and down a narrow alley in the other. This alley leads to the harbour. Its name is Agion Deka, which literally means 'Saint Ten', who is described on the road sign as a Cretan martyr. Despite taking great pleasure in life, the Greeks seem to appreciate their martyrs.

 

 




































Yesterday I shared the Greek pleasure in life when I set off in the sunshine to find the market on Minoos Street and got to a point in the route where I wasn't sure where to go. A woman just leaving her house asked if she could help and when I explained that I was looking for the market, she gestured to the pilion of the scooter she was revving up and said 'hop on, I'll take you.'

After a fun few minutes flying through side streets, she stopped at the end of the market, smiled her farewell and as we bid each other have a good day, she was off.

'

No comments:

Post a Comment