Wednesday 3 October 2012

Brilliant birthday in Chania

I mentioned yesterday that I arrived in Crete with my Irish friend Colm on the day before my birthday. The following morning it was a joy to open cards from so many friends and family and to feel really loved.

It wasn't such a joy to drive along the National Road of Crete to Chania, where we planned to spend the day and an overnight. This is a two lane road with 'hard shoulders' along which local drivers go at reckless speed, overtaking on bends and hills, and tourists in hire cars plod along, holding everyone up and causing others to take risks.

Anyway, after a few hairy moments in the centre of Chania, we parked by the sea and made our way into the Old Town, around a picturesque harbour. After lunch beside the sea, we shopped for my present at a jeweller who made really creative pieces in his own workshop and went into the nearby Catholic church to light a candle.


Time then for tea at my favourite Chania cafe, the Red Bicycle



 In the evening, we got glammed up for a night on the town and I noticed with delight a luminous New Moon, which you can just see in this photo






Our night started with a look at an art display in the town's mosque, now an unusual exhibition space, and continued in true tourist style with a pony and trap ride around the town. Our horse, Becky, plodded through a variety of streets, some more attractive than others, but in the balmy evening air I was very happy to be her passenger.

An ouzo by the sea and then for dinner, we chose a taverna that had walls but no roof, trees growing in it and two musicians who played and sang traditional Greek music with true soul. The atmosphere was perfect and I managed to restrain myself from dancing.

We finished the night with another ouzo and crept back to our hotel room in the wee small hours. Did I mention that red roses and bubbly were involved in the room?

Now that's what I call a pretty perfect way to spend a birthday....

No comments:

Post a Comment