Friday 4 May 2012

Holiday time!

My time in Crete has entered a new phase. Until earlier this week, I was taking life at a very slow pace with lots of solitude, walking, reading, meditating, contemplating. I think of it as my retreat phase. Now I have a hire car and a visitor, the weather has become unseasonably hot and we are definitely in Holiday Mode.

The car is a Citroen Xsara, so quite a bit bigger than my wee Micra, which was very scary at first, but it's good and powerful, so great for climbing hills with hairpin bends, of which there are many. Now I'm quite enjoying it and had a smooth run to the airport on Wednesday evening to meet the heroic arrival of Jo, my daughter-in-law and friend. I say heroic because this was Jo's first long flight in 14 years, as she has suffered severe claustrophobia, so we were very glad to see each other all in one piece at the Arrivals barrier and she is delighted by the beauty of this place.


Jo definitely wants the holiday experience, so yesterday we went to the beach at Almyrida, just down the road, and both went swimming as well as soaking up the rays, and in the evening we had dinner sitting under a pretty flowering tree outside the best taverna in the village. I'm sorry, dear followers, I know it's rained every day since I left England and you're entitled to be very fed up - but that's outside my control and no just cause for me to enjoy myself less, so please don't even think of sending guilt trip vibes in the Crete direction...



No comments:

Post a Comment