Wednesday 18 April 2012

A rainbow and a broken Renault


Yesterday's journey from Stansted to Chania and on to Julie's house at the White Mountain retreat was entirely smooth and uneventful. She had cooked delicious gigantes (Greek beans) and as we sat outside to eat under a star-sprayed sky, I felt so grateful to be back in Crete.
This morning, however, was not uneventful. The weather was wild and windy with alternating sun and showers and there, suddenly, across the bay towards the White Mountains, was a superb rainbow. I have never seen rainbow colours so clearly nor witnessed one that lingered so long. It was exciting, exhilarating, magical - and gave me the feeling that I'm right to be here and all will be well.
So when we went out in Julie's trusty old Renault 600, bumping along dusty lanes between olive groves, and the car simply refused to go into any gear and had to be abandoned with a presumed dead gear box, I was surprised but not too fazed. A hardship to be 'stuck' in a comfortable apartment (with internet access) overlooking sea and mountains, surrounded by flowers and olive groves, the only sound a brisk wind through the trees? I don't think so. The village is just ten minutes away on foot and the walking will do me good. Julie got a taxi to the airport for her trip to England and I'm quite happy with the two dogs sleeping beside me and three cats somewhere around. When I need a car, either the Renault will get fixed or I'll hire one. Simples. Welcome to Greece.


No comments:

Post a Comment