Saturday 21 April 2012

Dogs and domesticity

A major part of my role while house-sitting is to take care of Julie's two dogs, Magic and Petal. Magic is Petal's mother but she is more lively and active than her daughter. Petal takes life at a slow pace but is very sweet and affectionate. We go for walks along unmade lanes and through olive groves and before Julie left she showed me roughly some routes to take - but then the car broke down and the routes became quite confused because, frankly, one track and olive grove look much like another. So now my strategy is to go some distance along a lane and then let Magic take me into an olive grove, hoping that we'll emerge the other end safely and I can then simply follow her home.

This works to a limited extent because, of course, Magic is a dog with fur on her legs and the ability to bound up and over stone walls. I, on the other hand, have to make diversions to avoid the walls and still emerge with scratches on my legs from the undergrowth. Never mind, compensation comes with the glorious wild flowers that dot the long grass beneath the olives and the glimpsed views of sea and mountains. In fact, the white mountain peaks usually serve as my directional guide until somehow, by Magic (groan), we turn up in the garden of the house and are home.

During this process, I try to walk briskly to give the heart and legs a bit of a work out - but Petal doesn't do brisk. So I stop and turn and there she is several metres behind me, reluctantly planting one paw in front of the other, panting heavily. Her delight when we're home and she can have a drink and bony chewy thing is palpable.


Both dogs are also delighted when they get a stroke and a rub, so often when I sit outside, they sidle up and put their nose on my lap with a pleading look in the eye. Irresistible, of course.

The apartment I'm staying in is on the top floor of a three-storey building and is the only storey that is complete and habitable (It's quite common in Greece to build in stages as budget allows and circumstances dictate). The main entrance is from the garden, over a bridge that crosses a rocky chasm, and into the kitchen.

From here, you walk through to a dining room and adjoining sitting room, both of which have amazing, panoramic views over the Bay of Souda and the mountains and, of course, there's a large terrace facing west, so taking in afternoon sun and uplifting sunsets. The sea views even extend right around the side of the house, where the bedroom is located.


The house is not one of those bland, modern 'eurovillas' that have sprung up everywhere in Greece and have very little Greek character. It has a traditional feel but there are the essential mod cons of wi-fi, dvd player, cd player (with  great collection of music) and a washing machine in the basement.


Since I arrived, I've been sleeping A LOT, but today it feels that a routine is emerging. Up fairly early, let the dogs out, feed the three demanding, hungry cats, give the dogs a bonio then sit outside and meditate. After my breakfast and chores, the dogs and I take a walk, then another walk in the late afternoon. In between, the time is mine to work, read, think, walk to the village and shop  - but not much. I'm grateful that Julie left me loads of food, so I've spent very little money so far. That's maybe one blessing of being without a car - petrol is about £1.70 a litre here!

Tomorrow, my routine will change as something different is happening....nope, you'll just have to wait!


1 comment:

  1. There's no denying it; I am overwhelmingly jealous of the uber relaxed and simply Greek life you're living right now! Seems you're having a great time though -- I'm glad!

    ReplyDelete